1111 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607
Hannah R. Thompson is a Research Professor that received her MPH in Public Health Nutrition at UC Berkeley and her PhD in Epidemiology and Translational Science at UCSF. Her research focus is on school- and community-based methods to increase physical activity levels, with the goals of improving youth health and decreasing health disparities. She is specifically interested in interventions to improve the quantity and quality of physical education in public schools. Through both qualitative and quantitative methods, she works to understand how schools and community-based youth development and physical activity organizations can work together to increase access to physical activity, with a particular focus on children in communities at highest risk for inactivity and poor health.
SpecialtyPhysical activity epidemiology; school health research; school physical education
- Woodward-Lopez, G.; Esaryk, E. (2023). "Associations between Changes in Food Acquisition Behaviors, Dietary Intake, and Bodyweight during the COVID-19 Pandemic among Low-Income Parents in California." Nutrients 15(21)
- Gosliner, W.; Felix, C. (2023). "Feasibility and Response to the San Diego County, California, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Agency Sending Food and Nutrition Text Messages to All Participants: Quasi-Experimental Web-Based Survey Pilot Study." J Med Internet Res 25: e41021.
- Thompson, H. R.; Madsen, K. A. (2023). "Implementation of elementary school physical education quantity and quality law through school district audit, feedback, and coaching." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act 20(1): 77.
- Hewawitharana, S. C.; Woodward-Lopez, G. (2023). "Latent class analysis identifies a promising combination of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education interventions for improving student cardiorespiratory fitness." Prev Med 175: 107687.
- Thompson, H. R.; London, R. A. (2023). "Not all fun and games: Disparities in school recess persist, and must be addressed." Prev Med Rep 35: 102301.
- Day, S. E.; Konty, K. J. (2023). "NYC FITNESSGRAM: Population-Level Physical Fitness Surveillance for New York City Youth." Am J Epidemiol 192(3): 334-341.
- Rauzon, S.; Hewawitharana, S. C. (2023). "Parent perceptions of changes in eating behavior during COVID-19 of school-aged children from Supplemental Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) eligible households in California." Prev Med Rep 35: 102365.
- Thompson, H. R.; Madsen, K. A. (2023). "School-level self-reported versus objective measurements of body mass index in public high school students." Prev Med 174: 107616.
- Gee, K. A.; Thompson, H. R. (2022). "BMI Reporting and Accuracy of Child's Weight Perception." Pediatrics 150(6)
- Konty, K. J.; Day, S. E. (2022). "Context, importance, and process for creating a body mass index surveillance system to monitor childhood obesity within the New York City public school setting." Prev Med Rep 26: 101704.
- Heiges, J.; Lee, D. L. (2022). "Evaluating Food Packaging Waste in Schools: A Systematic Literature Review." Int J Environ Res Public Health 19(9)
- Thompson, H. R.; Machado, S. S. (2022). "Impact of a Teacher Intervention to Encourage Students to Eat School Lunch." Int J Environ Res Public Health 19(18)
- Thompson, H. R.; Mendelson, J. (2022). "Impact of an Arts-based Public Health Literacy Program Delivered Online to High School Students during the COVID-19 Pandemic." J Health Commun 27(7): 520-534.
- Thompson, H. R.; Martin, A. (2022). "Limited implementation of California's Healthy Default Beverage law for children's meals sold online." Public Health Nutr 25(7): 1-10.
- Pulvera, R.; Altman, E. (2022). "Pandemic-related financial hardship and disparities in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption and purchasing among San Francisco Bay Area residents during COVID-19." Prev Med Rep 26: 101759.
- Kuhn, A. P.; Thompson, H. R. (2022). "Physical Education Teachers' Perceived Effectiveness in Association with Student Attendance, Teacher Adaptability, External Educational Supports, and Teaching Format During the COVID-19 Pandemic." J Healthy Eat Act Living 2(3): 97-112.
- Thompson, H. R.; Borger, C. (2022). "The Relationship between Breastfeeding and Initial Vegetable Introduction with Vegetable Consumption in a National Cohort of Children Ages 1-5 Years from Low-Income Households." Nutrients 14(9)
- Altman, E.; Linchey, J. (2022). "Weight Measurements in School: Setting and Student Comfort." J Nutr Educ Behav 54(3): 249-254.
- Madsen, K. A.; Thompson, H. R. (2021). "Effect of School-Based Body Mass Index Reporting in California Public Schools: A Randomized Clinical Trial." JAMA Pediatr 175(3): 251-259.
- Machado, S. S.; Schillinger, D. (2021). "Seeing "The Bigger Picture:" Impact of an Arts-Focused Type 2 Diabetes Education Program in High Schools." J Health Commun 26(10): 696-707.
- Lee, D. L.; Alkon, A. (2021). "Self-Paced Online Training on Healthy Beverage Policy for Child Care Providers." J Nutr Educ Behav 53(6): 457-470.
- Thompson, H. R.; Pavlovic, A. (2021). "The association between student body mass index and tests of flexibility assessed by the FITNESSGRAM(R): New York City public school students, 2017-18." PLoS One 16(12): e0262083.
- Thompson, H. R.; Ritchie, L. (2020). "Effect of Removing Chocolate Milk on Milk and Nutrient Intake Among Urban Secondary School Students." Prev Chronic Dis 17: E95.
- Konty, K. J.; Day, S. E. (2020). "Physical fitness disparities among New York City public school youth using standardized methods, 2006-2017." PLoS One 15(4): e0227185.
- Thompson, H. R.; Hewawitharana, S. C. (2020). "SNAP-Ed physical activity interventions in low-income schools are associated with greater cardiovascular fitness among 5th and 7th grade students in California." Prev Med Rep 20: 101222.
- Rauzon, S.; Randel-Schreiber, H. (2020). "The association between sugar-sweetened beverage availability in school vending machines and school staff sugar-sweetened beverage consumption." Prev Med Rep 19: 101128.
- Machado, S. S.; Ritchie, L. D. (2020). "The Impact of a Multi-Pronged Intervention on Students' Perceptions of School Lunch Quality and Convenience and Self-Reported Fruit and Vegetable Consumption." Int J Environ Res Public Health 17(16)
- Thompson, H. R.; Gosliner, W. (2020). "The Impact of a Multipronged Intervention to Increase School Lunch Participation among Secondary School Students in an Urban Public School District." Child Obes 16(S1): S14-S22.
- Thompson, H. R.; Singh, B. K. (2019). "Access to credentialed elementary physical education teachers in California and students' cardiorespiratory fitness." Prev Med 121: 62-67.
- Thompson, H. R.; Linchey, J. K. (2019). "Accuracy of School Staff-Measured Height and Weight Used for Body Mass Index Screening and Reporting." J Sch Health 89(8): 629-635.
- Thompson, H. R.; Johnson, R. C. (2019). "Impact of Physical Education Litigation on Fifth Graders' Cardio-Respiratory Fitness, California, 2007-2018." Am J Public Health 109(11): 1557-1563.
- Machado, S.; Ritchie, L. (2019). "Multi-pronged intervention to increase secondary student participation in school lunch: Design and rationale." Contemp Clin Trials 78: 133-139.
- Linchey, J. K.; King, B. (2019). "Parent Underestimation of Child Weight Status and Attitudes towards BMI Screening." Health Behav Policy Rev 6(3): 209-218.
- Thompson, H. R.; Linchey, J. K. (2019). "Parents Recall of, and Reactions to, School-Based BMI Reports." Child Obes 15(8): 548-554.
- Falbe, J.; Thompson, H. R. (2019). "Potentially addictive properties of sugar-sweetened beverages among adolescents." Appetite 133: 130-137.
- Lounsbery, M.A.F.; McKenzie, T.L. (2019). "Prioritizing Physical Activity in Schools: Educational Leadersâ?? Perspectives." Translational Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine 4(22): 248-256.
- Thompson, H. R.; Singh, B. K. (2018). "Impact of Litigation on Compliance With California Physical Education Laws in Elementary Schools." J Phys Act Health 15(10): 721-729.
- Falbe, J.; Friedman, L. E. (2017). ""She Gave Me the Confidence to Open Up": Bridging Communication by Promotoras in a Childhood Obesity Intervention for Latino Families." Health Educ Behav 44(5): 728-737.
- Madsen, K. A.; Linchey, J. (2017). "The Fit Study: Design and rationale for a cluster randomized trial of school-based BMI screening and reporting." Contemp Clin Trials 58: 40-46.
- Thompson, H. R.; Madsen, K. A. (2017). "The Report Card on BMI Report Cards." Curr Obes Rep 6(2): 163-167.
- Falbe, J.; Thompson, H. R. (2016). "Impact of the Berkeley Excise Tax on Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption." Am J Public Health 106(10): 1865-71.
- Thompson, H.R.; Duvall, J (2016). "The impact of moderate-vigorous intensity physical education class immediately prior to standardized testing on student test-taking behaviors." Mental Health and Physical Activity 11: 7-12.
- Falbe, J.; Cadiz, A. A. (2015). "Active and Healthy Families: A Randomized Controlled Trial of a Culturally Tailored Obesity Intervention for Latino Children." Acad Pediatr 15(4): 386-95.
- Thompson, H. R.; Linchey, J. K. (2015). "Critical Elements of a School Report to Parents on Body Mass Index." Prev Chronic Dis 12: E136.
- Thompson, H. R.; Haguewood, R. (2015). "Lessons Learned: A Strategic Alliance to Improve Elementary Physical Education in an Urban School District." Prog Community Health Partnersh 9(3): 363-70.
- Madsen, K. A.; Cotterman, C. (2015). "Passive commuting and dietary intake in fourth and fifth grade students." Am J Prev Med 48(3): 292-9.
- Thompson, H. R.; Vittinghoff, E. (2015). "Public Disclosure to Improve Physical Education in an Urban School District: Results From a 2-Year Quasi-Experimental Study." J Sch Health 85(9): 604-10.
- Yen, I. H.; Fandel Flood, J. (2014). "How design of places promotes or inhibits mobility of older adults: realist synthesis of 20 years of research." J Aging Health 26(8): 1340-72.
- Thompson, H. R.; Linchey, J. (2013). "Are physical education policies working? A snapshot from San Francisco, 2011." Prev Chronic Dis 10: E142.
- Herrick, H.; Thompson, H. (2012). "Use of SPARK to promote after-school physical activity." J Sch Health 82(10): 457-61.
- Kinder, J. R.; Lee, K. A. (2012). "Validation of a hip-worn accelerometer in measuring sleep time in children." J Pediatr Nurs 27(2): 127-33.
- Madsen, K. A.; Hicks, K. (2011). "Physical activity and positive youth development: impact of a school-based program." J Sch Health 81(8): 462-70.
- Madsen, K. A.; Thompson, H. R. (2009). "After-school program to reduce obesity in minority children: a pilot study." J Child Health Care 13(4): 333-46.