UC ANR Nutrition Policy Institute Academic CoordinatorNutrition Policy Institute (NPI)
1111 Franklin Street
Oakland, CA 94607
Ph.D. Population Dynamics, Johns Hopkins. 1991
B.A. Human Biology, Stanford University. 1978
- Park, S; Onufrak, S; Cradock, A; Hecht, C; Patel, A; Chevinsky, J; Blanck, H (In Press). Factors Related to Water Filter Use for Drinking Tap Water at Home and Its Association with Consuming Plain Water and Sugar-Sweetened Beverages Among US Adults. Current Developments in Nutrition. 4:2, 1472.
- Grummon, AH; Sokol, RL; Goodman, D; Hecht, CA; Salvia, M; Musicus, AA; Patel, AI. (In Press). Storybooks About Healthy Beverage Consumption: Effects in an Online Randomized Experiment With Parents. Am J Prev Med.
- Jowell, AH; Bruce, JS; Escobar, GV; Ordonez, VM; Hecht, CA; Patel, AI. (2021). Mitigating Childhood Food Insecurity during COVID-19: A Qualitative Study of how School Districts in California’s San Joaquin Valley Responded to Growing Needs. Public Health Nutrition. 1-11.
- Lee, DL; Alkon, A; Plank, K; Neelon, M; Rios, LKD; Hecht, CE; Thompson, HR; Ritchie, LD. (2021). Self-Paced Online Training on Healthy Beverage Policy for Child Care Providers. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 53:6, 457-470. 1 June.
- Sharma, P; Altman, EA; Hampton, KE; Moreno, GD; Hecht, CA; Patel, AI. (2021). Strength and Comprehensiveness of Drinking Water Language in California School District Wellness Policies. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 22 June.
- Umunna, IL; Blacker, LS; Hecht, CE; Edwards, MA; Altman, EA; Patel, AI (2021). Water Safety in California Public Schools Following Implementation of School Drinking Water Policies. Prev Chron Dis. 18, 200366.
- Park, S; Onufrak, S; Cradock, A; Patel, A; Hecht, C; Merlo, C; Blanck, HM. (2020). Correlates of infrequent plain water intake among US high school students: National Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 2017. Am J Health Promt. 34:5, 549-554. Published online first on March 18, 2020.
- Patel, A.I.; Podrabsky, M.; Hecht, A.A.; Morris, S.; Yovanovich, S.; Walkinshaw, L.P.; Ritchie, L; and Hecht, C. (2020). Development and Validation of a Photo‐Evidence Tool to Examine Characteristics of Effective Drinking Water Access in Schools. J School Health. 90, 271-277.
- Altman, Emily; Lee, Kevin; Hecht, Christina; Hampton, Karla; Moreno, Gala; Patel, Anisha (2020). Drinking water access in California schools: Room for improvement following implementation of school water policies. Preventive Medicine Reports. 19. September.
- Patel, AI; Hecht, CE; Cradock, A; Edwards, MA; Ritchie, LD. (2020). Drinking Water in the United States: Implications of Water Safety, Access and Consumption. Annual Review of Nutrition. Volume 40, pages 345-373. September.
- Cooper, A; Altman, E; Hecht, C; Bruce, J; Patel, A. (2020). Stories of success: A qualitative examination of contributors to excellence in school drinking water access. Public Health Nutrition. 1-10.
- Patel, AI; Hecht, AA; Hampton, KE; Hecht, C; Buck, S (2019). Agua4All: Providing Safe Drinking Water in Rural California Communities. Prev Chronic Dis. 16, E151. 2019 Nov 14.
- Walkinshaw, LP; Hecht, C; Patel, A; Podrabsky, M. (2019). Training high school student “citizen scientists” to document school water access: a feasibility study. Journal of School Health. 89, 653-661. 6/3/19. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/josh.12790
- Grummon, Anna H; Sokol, Rebekah; Hecht, Christina A; Patel, Anisha I (2018). Measuring beverage consumption in US children and adolescents: a systematic review. Obesity Reviews.
- Hook, EB; Carothers, AD; Hecht, CA (1999). Elevated maternal age-specific rates of Down syndrome liveborn offspring of women of Mexican and Central American origin in California. Prenatal Diagnosis. 19:3, 245-51.
- Carothers, AD; Hecht, CA; Hook, EB (1999). International variation in reported live-birth prevalence rates of Down syndrome, adjusted for maternal age. J Med Genet. 36:5, 386-93.
- Hecht, CA; Hook, EB (1996). Rates of Down syndrome at live-birth by one-year maternal age intervals in studies with apparent close to complete ascertainment in populations of European origin: A proposed revised rate schedule for use in genetic and prenatal screening. Am Jour Med Genet. 62:4, 376-85.
- Hecht, CA; Hook, EB (1994). The imprecision in rates of Down syndrome by 1-year maternal age intervals: a critical analysis of rates used in biochemical screening. Prenatal Diagnosis. 14:8, 729-38.
- LoPresto, L; Hecht, CA. (2021). Effective Access to Drinking Water in Schools: What is it and why does it matter? April 2021. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/348566.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Whelton, A. (2021). Info Sheet: Tap Water Safety When Reopening Buildings After COVID-19 Shutdowns. May 2021. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/349331.pdf
- Ritchie, L; Hecht, C; Au, L; Vital, N; Tsai, M; Hecht, K; Anderson, C; Martinez, C; Meza, M; Whaley, S. (2021). Informing the Future of WIC: Lessons Learned during COVID-19 from California Agency Directors. 9 June 2021. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/352390.pdf
- Ritchie, L; Hecht, C; Au, L; Vital, N; Strochlic, R; Tsai, M; Hecht, K; Olague, C; Rios, A; Anderson, C; Martinez, C; Meza, M; Whaley, S (2021). Informing the Future of WIC: Lessons Learned during COVID-19 from California WIC Participants. 9 June 2021. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/352389.pdf
- Hecht, Christina (2021). Policy Brief: Parent Voices: Local Foods for School Meals. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/349384.pdf
- Hecht, K; Hecht, C; Au, L; Vital, N; Strochlic, R; Tsai, M; Ritchie, L; Anderson, C; Martinez, C; Meza, M; Whaley, S (2021). Policy Brief: Lessons Learned: Examining WIC During COVID-19 for Policy and Program Recommendations Going Forward. 9 June 2021. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/352391.pdf
- Hecht, Christina (2021). Policy Brief: Parent Voices: School Meals for All; Good for Kids - Good for Communities. May 14. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/349378.pdf
- Hecht, Christina (2021). Policy Brief: Parent Voices: Summer EBT; Good for Kids - Good for Communities. May 14. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/349379.pdf
- Hecht, Christina (2021). Policy Brief: School Meals: Kids Are Sweeter with Less Sugar. April 22. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/348508.pdf
- Ritchie, L; Vital, N; Au, L; Gosliner, WA; Meza, M; Anderson, CE; Strochlic, R; Plank, K; Tsai, M; Martinez, CE; Olague, C; Rios, A; Lee, DLL; Hecht, CE; Whaley, SE (2021). Research Brief: WIC Especially Critical during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Voices of Participants in Los Angeles County. January. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/342602.pdf
- UC ANR, Nutrition Policy Institute; Harvard, TH Chan School of Public Health; Tech, Virginia; Stanford Medicine, Department of Pediatrics. (2021). Research Brief: School Drinking Water Safety. 2 July. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/354287.pdf
- Hecht, Christina (2021). School Meals for All - An idea whose time has come. Research to Action Newsbrief of Nutrition Policy Institute. 5:2. https://mailchi.mp/a535d256524c/uc-npi-news-brief-vol-5-no-19221234
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Factsheet: Back-to-School: We'll Keep Feeding Those Kids! September 9. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/332042.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI; Lessard, D. (2020). Factsheet: Boosting School Meal Participation — Tips from Districts. October 20. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/338072.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Factsheet: Calling all Districts! USDA Summer Meals Can Keep Kids Healthy (California version). June 20. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/327331.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Factsheet: Calling all Districts! USDA Summer Meals Can Keep Kids Healthy (National version). June 20. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/328488.pdf
- Hecht, CE; Vollmer, LY (2020). Factsheet: Child Care Drinking Water Safety. February 20. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_7c66260c25784014ab41a3b7cfdb2028.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2020). Factsheet: Healthy Hydration: Ensuring access to safe water in schools. March. https://9c073bb6-f7ef-48b6-ad05-b37094ec4e4f.usrfiles.com/ugd/9c073b_1e37b4417e7641abb4da3473e0b0154d.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI (2020). Factsheet: Kids’ Hunger Doesn’t Take a Spring Break. While closed for COVID-19, California districts can serve meals over spring break. April 7. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/322985.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Patel, AI. (2020). Factsheet: Kids’ Hunger Doesn’t Take a Spring Break. While closed for COVID-19, school districts can serve meals over spring break. National version. April 2. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/323167.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Reich, A. (2020). Infographic: Increasing Drinking Water Availability in Schools during COVID-19 and Beyond. October 15. https://api.healthiergeneration.org/resource/851
- Hecht, CA (2020). School drinking water safety and access during COVID-19. California School Boards Association. November 20. http://blog.csba.org/water-safety-covid/
- Hecht, CA (2020). School Meals: More important this summer than ever. California School Boards Association. June 5. http://blog.csba.org/summer-meals2020/
- Hecht, CA (2020). Supporting school meals during COVID-19 and beyond. California School Board Association. November 27. https://publications.csba.org/issue/winter-2020/
- Hecht, C. (2020). Supporting school meals during COVID-19 and beyond. California Schools. Winter. https://publications.csba.org/issue/winter-2020/supporting-school-meals-during-covid-19-and-beyond/
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY; Olague, C. (2019). Beba Aqua. July. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_d4358b1bdbdc4dc4bd068cc991b08505.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2019). Drink Water. July. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_5a20c1a7aa9941d5bcf62c126154b0c6.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2019). Policy Brief: Are Sugar-Sweetened Beverages a Problem? September. https://ucanr.edu/sites/NewNutritionPolicyInstitute/files/318976.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY. (2019). Policy Brief: Infant and Toddler Beverage Recommendations for the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. June. https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/ee8930_e33a661f5d514d97bfb4c6d93798d661.pdf
- Hecht, C. (2019). Rara Avis: My Childhood at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Member Magazine for the American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.C. Dorn. https://www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/people/090119/j-thomas-august-1927-2019
- Cradock, AL; Hecht, CA; Poole, MK; Vollmer, LY; Flax, CN; Barrett, JL (2019). State approaches to testing school drinking water for lead in the United States. Chan School of Public Health; 1/9/19. https:// www.hsph.harvard.edu/prc/projects/ school-research/early-adopters
- Cradock, AL; Poole, MK; Vollmer, LY; Barrett, JL; Flax, CN; Hecht, CA (2019). State Policies on Testing Drinking Water for Lead in U.S. Schools. Research Brief. Durham, NC, Healthy Eating Research. January. https://healthyeatingresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/HER-Brief_State-Policies-on-Testing-Drinking-Water-for-Lead-in-U.S.-Schools-1.pdf
- Hecht, Christina (2018). Green Schools National Network Newsletter. Safe Water in Schools: What do we know? What can we do? https://greenschoolsnationalnetwork.org/safe-water-in-schools-what-do-we-know-what-can-we-do/
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2017). Drinking Water Safety in Schools. September 1. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/9c073b_8ee98e40cd384c2bbf0db29b369c5c92.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY; Patel, AI (2017). Effective Access to Water in Schools. September 1. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/ee8930_94a3be8571214de1aeb83b8f2193b40e.pdf
- Hecht, CA; Vollmer, LY (2017). Healthy Hydration. September. https://45daf280-3359-4d8c-9870-5c5f730d8448.filesusr.com/ugd/ee8930_6cb75896500e4f2e829f3ea770dcdd08.pdf